Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Setting Goals

Because it's the beginning of the year, you should really think about what you want out of your business in 2014.  If last year wasn't so great, there is no better time to put last year behind you and look forward to the new year.  If last year was amazing, you can build off that to make this year even better!  How do you do that?  You set goals.
We often run into two major problems when setting goals:
  • We think of the things that we want then do nothing to reach those goals.
  • We set a goal which we have no idea how to reach.
Both of these issues leave many of us feeling like we've failed when in reality, we simply failed to plan.  Let's start this year off the right way and plan for success!

First, let's figure out what you want out of life and then we'll apply it to your business.  Imagine for a moment that you have an unlimited amount of money.  If money were no object:
  • Where would you live?
  • What would you drive?
  • Where would your kids go to school?
  • Where would you work?
  • Where would you go on vacation?
Now, answer this - if you had $1,000,000 right now, what's the very first thing you would do?

Those answers are your dreams and will be going on a Dream Board later this month.  For now, I want you to just think about these things.  Sit down with your significant other or pragmatic self and talk about each of the items you've listed and figure out what you need to earn from your business to meet these goals.  My husband and I broke it down like this.
  • If I earn $500 a month, I'm paying our rent.
  • If I earn $1000 a month, we can afford to get me a car
  • If I earn $2000 a month, we can move to our own place (we sublet).
  • If I earn $3000 a month, we can start putting money into savings.
So, that means that I have a long-term goal of $3000 from Jamberry every month.  That's a big goal!  That means, I need to break it into short-term goals.  For me, I'm setting it out to earn an extra $500 per month.  That means my short term goals look like this.
  • January - earn $500
  • February - earn $1000
  • March - earn $1500
  • April - earn $2000
  • May - earn $2500
  • June - earn $3000
Do these have to be your goals?  No!  That's why they're YOURS.  No one sets them for you.  You then need to work backwards to figure out how to meet the goal you've set.  Here's how I'm doing it for January.


Goal:
$500




Profit per wrap
$5.10




Wraps needed to be sold
100




Average number of guests at parties
10-15

So, if each of my guests only buys one wrap, I'd need 10 parties.  However, the majority (probably 80%) of my guests buy a Buy 3 Get 1 Free set.  I only need 33 sales to actually meet this goal.  If I can schedule 4 parties, I should be fine.  My goal for January is to book 5 parties.
Then we rely on the snowball effect.  If only 4 of my parties hold and I book 3 parties from each of them, I'll have 12 parties in February and so on.

Once you set your long-term goal, contact your sponsor to figure out how you can break it into smaller short-term goals and how you can reach each one!

    Homework: Post one long-term and one short-term goal on our team page. Due tomorrow.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment